Friday 21 April 2023

The Reality of the Spiritual World

  Below is an extract, very slightly edited, from my second book Remember the Creator (see right). It deals with the spiritual beings who spoke to me over a period of 20 years and who are mentioned in the title of this blog. If there is one thing I would like to get across in my writing here it would be the reality of the spiritual world and of the beings who dwell in it. These are the just men made perfect. They exist and are real and work so that we may join their company. Have every confidence in that simple but inspiring truth. 

I am writing this now because we are in this world currently surrounded by evil on an unprecedented scale. Most people would think that a ridiculous thing to say. Aren't we better off than before, with less inequality, more justice, less violence, more tolerance? Quite frankly, so what if we have traded that for our souls, and we have. There is more spiritual evil, as in denial of spiritual reality, than there ever has been and so I would like to draw attention to spiritual reality as it is expressed in the form of just men made perfect.

'In my book Meeting the Masters I tried to describe the nature of the spiritual beings who spoke to me. I wish I could do them justice but my powers of description fall short. They inspired both love and respect, even a certain amount of awe, in me and I don't consider myself as someone easily impressed. Over the course of my life I have met all sorts of people but none of them could hold a candle to the Masters. Michael Lord, their medium, who had led a very sophisticated life mingling with aristocracy and political leaders on the one hand, and film stars and celebrities on the other, said the same thing. He did not speak to them as I did (naturally, since he was their medium) but they communicated with him clairaudiently and he told me he sometimes saw faces of great beauty and dignity. He had met people from Winston Churchill to Mahatma Gandhi and all sorts and conditions of men and women in between including monks, abbots, sanyasis and swamis. No one, he said, could begin to compare to the Masters.

This was not because of anything as mundane as charisma or force of personality, “star quality”. Michael had met plenty of people like that and knew it was usually a fairly superficial thing. No, it was to do with spiritual presence, an aura (for want of a better word) of love and wisdom that imposed by its certainty and depth rather than a feeling of power or excitement. Power there was in plenty but it was the power of truth not personality, and it was accompanied by a sense of peace like no other. I am not comparing the Masters with Christ, though I do think of them as something like his disciples, but I was often reminded of the words from the Gospel of St John when they spoke. "My peace I give unto you ". Sometimes they used almost the exact same words, usually on departure when they blessed me, and the peace they bestowed during and after a visit was an almost tangible thing. For a while at least, until the afterglow of their presence faded and I was back in the everyday world.

I think their words as reported in the book from notes I took at the time (alas, I only did so for the first year) convey something of their quality. But they don't give a feel of their presence which taught as much as the words they spoke. To me they seemed of another world but not in the sense of being inhuman. They were very human but had all the virtues of the ideal man with none of the shortcomings of the mortal version. They had developed in themselves all the spiritual qualities, love, wisdom and so on, but had these in a real and inbuilt sense not in the rather self-conscious way one often encounters them in spiritual circles. It was how they were, as natural to them as thought and emotion are to us. They radiated a feeling of total authenticity, and also a nobility that imposed by its authority and absolute truthfulness. But they never enforced this.

The difference between these spiritual beings and any person in this world striving to be spiritual, even the best of us, is profound. I have said the Masters were very human and so they were but they were also much more than human. They came from another place, one in which the possibility of sin or falseness was entirely absent, and where love was the dominant mode of being, a pure and holy love bearing little resemblance to our rather crude, often tainted by ego, versions of it. They walked in the light of God, and felt and thought in a way that was completely centred in the reality of God. For them God was a constant presence and a fact from which everything else derived.

I have been asked how many of them spoke to me. The truth is I don't exactly know. The answer is several and I could usually tell one from another but no names were given except once when one of the higher Masters spoke to me. That was how he was introduced by another Master who had spoken to me earlier in the session. He had an air of such regality that I felt, even more than usual, that I had better be on my best behaviour. I must repeat that this was neither asked nor expected of me. It was simply the natural authority of their presence that prompted such a reaction in me. The higher Masters did not speak to me often but I mention them to make the point that even in heaven there is hierarchy. And why would there not be? If spiritual evolution (as in unfoldment of pre-existing potential similar to the development from seed to tree) is endless, and I think it is, that is only to be expected. This, by the way, is a crucial difference between theistic and non-theistic forms of religion or mysticism. When you reach enlightenment or realisation in the latter, that's more or less it. You have reached the absolute and where is there to go after that, especially if there is no “I” to go anywhere? But a theistic system in which the One and the Many both exist has the possibility of there being endless vistas of reality, deeper and deeper truths as you enter ever more completely into the heart of God and the fullness of truth. And God has no top nor bottom nor beginning nor end to Him at all.

I have also been asked why, given such beings as Masters exist, they do not communicate with more people more frequently but this is to misunderstand their purpose. The Masters are spiritual teachers in the purest sense and that is why they do not teach through words, which are concrete things that may obscure as much as they convey, so much as through influence. Their aim is to make their disciples receptive to the spiritual plane of being, not the idea of the spiritual plane, and their primary focus is on awakening the intuition. This they do by stimulating the so-called higher bodies and then encouraging the disciple to, metaphorically speaking, stretch upwards beyond the everyday mind (through meditation, aspiration, self-forgetfulness, prayer and the like), and thereby become more attuned to the soul. There are plenty of teachers in this world to do the still important but more preliminary work of reorienting those focused in their earthly selves to the soul, but the work of the Masters lies with those who are already conscious of the soul as the dominating force in their lives but have not as yet become fully one with it. That is why they work predominantly on higher, super-sensory levels.

You can get an idea of their teaching methods by considering their own words.

Obey the impressions we fill you with and be true to your self. The more you respond to impression, the stronger it will become.

Note their choice of words as well as what they say. They use the word “obey”. Obedience goes against the grain for the modern person as it appears to challenge our personal autonomy, and we are very self-centred people. We are individuals and we demand our freedom. But we are not free. We are slaves to the ego with its self-will, opinions and desires. Spirituality requires surrender and submission to the higher authorities by which I mean truth and our own soul. It requires obedience. Here's a novel definition of a Master for you. It is one who is perfectly obedient. Obedience makes us free.'

1 comment:

Christopher Berc Yeniver said...

Treat everybody the same, but treat the individuals separately. Dignity and authority allow for this to be, although to the modern mind it makes no sense. To treat everybody the same and treat individuals separately is to harness one's nature, and intuition, and to dispense with themselves always, wherever and with whomever.

This can nearly never occur in a social setting, but social settings only make sense in a vacuum isolated from any true development of the individual which can accomplish an action and reveal knowledge of the self.

Humans couldn't be simpler viewing them from the outside. There can never be enough variation in appearances to keep the boredom and silence out of the soul. It is only through greater patience do we get out of our problems with our selves, for there is no other who we can work on more than ourselves. I sense a great call for mercy is coming soon.