Saturday 27 March 2021

Spiritual Names

Those who have read Meeting the Masters will know that the spiritual beings who spoke to me did not identify themselves by name except on a couple of occasions. One of their helpers, which term I took to refer to discarnate souls still in the vicinity of the physical realm who assisted them in various ways but were not of their spiritual status, called himself Raman (with a long first 'a'). And one of the higher masters, as he was described, said his name was Sigemund.

But there was one other occasion when a name was mentioned. I haven't spoken of this before because it happened at a time when I was no longer taking notes so it resides in my memory only. Also, I don't know which of the group this was as he was just mentioned as being one of them. Unfortunately, I don't even recall the circumstances properly but I do clearly remember the name which was Silvanus.

I was reminded of this recently when I saw a reference to one of St Paul's companions who travelled with him on two of his missionary journeys and is known as Silas or Silvanus. There is also a figure who may or may not be the same person called Silvanus of the Seventy, one of those apostles sent out by Jesus to preach the gospel in Luke 10. I didn't know of either of these connections at the time. Nor had I heard of The Teachings of Silvanus which is one of the books from the Nag Hammadi library that is dated to around 150 AD and is described as early Christian wisdom literature. There is an icon of Silvanus on his Wikipedia page. He's the one on the left. I have to say that the image of this little group does carry something of the feel of the spiritual messengers who spoke to me. There is an air of gravity, wisdom and dedication which both share though to temper the somewhat dour impression that might give I should add that the Masters were not above making the occasional small joke.


Silvanus, Crescens and Silas

I have written that names of spiritual beings can be a distraction in that one can get caught up in the personality or focus on an individual rather than the message he carries which is always something along the lines of "Seek God with all your heart and mind and soul". You can then pay more attention to the medium than that message. At the same time, all souls have their spiritual name which really does carry something of their essential self within it. The supreme example is, of course, Jesus Christ who also taught us to pray "Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name". But it extends throughout creation too. And so, with that in mind, I offer here another name of one of the spiritual group who spoke to me. 

No comments: